Even in a digital world it’s important to hold on to some of the “good ole ways” of doing things. Everyone agrees that a multi-platform approach is key to successfully targeting auto buyers. But, if you’re moving TV ad dollars somewhere else, you’re missing out on the most important aspect of the auto buyer’s purchase journey. Targeting prospective buyers early, specifically through television advertising, pays the highest dividends.
Today’s car shopper experiences three stages throughout the buying process:
- The Awareness Stage: Whether it’s a lifestyle change or too many trips the mechanic, this is the stage when potential buyers realize it’s time for a new car. With a multitude of choices out there, where do they start? The answer: TV ads.
- The Consideration Stage: This is when potential customers start to pay attention to the car dealership ads they see on television. According to the Video Advertising Bureau, 45% of buyers ages 25-54 and 46% of buyers ages 18-34 reported that TV ads helped them select the make, model, and dealerships they planned to visit. At this stage, auto shoppers are narrowing their options, so it’s crucial that your ads are out there to drive these customers to your website. Additionally, 76% of auto manufacturers assert a direct correlation between TV ad spend and website traffic.
- The Decision Stage: At this point, the auto buyer has finished their online research and is now applying for credit, going on test drives, and making the purchase. Although digital is important, this is why your TV media buy is also important. TV goes hand-in-hand with digital to fuel dealership traffic.
And if COVID-19 has proven anything, it’s that TV is even more essential to automotive advertising. TVB Local Media Marketing Solutions, along with Dynata, GfK, and Data Plus Math, did an analysis of consumers and found that local broadcast TV is the primary source for News for online shoppers. Here are some other takeaways:
- COVID-19 has impacted the ability for Americans to go out of their homes for any reason, including shopping.
- Respondents felt that broadcast TV news gave them the best information & updates pertaining to the Coronavirus.
- Broadcast TV delivers online shoppers & local broadcast TV websites offer multi-platform opportunities.
- TV ads motivate & local TV assets resonate.
- When picking only five networks, the top four are on broadcast TV.
- Local TV news is the top source for news and is most trusted.
- Television ads are motivation to learn more and do further research online.
- Online shoppers spend the most time with TV of all ad supported platforms.
- Broadcast TV & broadcast websites can synergistically work together to increase reach.
- Broadcast TV generated much higher website traffic “lift” than cable.
Source: GfK TVB Media Comparisons Study 2020. Persons 18 + Plan in the next month, to do any shopping online (n=1,602): Yes. Includes only those who chose a media. Q1 – Please select the one type of advertising medium which, you feel, most influences you to make a purchase decision?
Broadcast TV News Websites/Apps includes local TV station & network websites/apps for news/weather/sports.
Furthermore, after November 3rd, there will never be a better time to lock in a 6-month or annual buy. For a cost analysis of TV media in your market, contact Intermark Automotive today!
by Shea Posey, Senior Account Executive/Compliance & Co-op Specialist
Even in a digital era, television is a major influence for auto intenders throughout the car buying process. In our latest 60-Second Update, Cody discusses the benefits of including TV and online video in your auto marketing mix. Check it out here: